- 15 eggs
- 3 Vanilla (powder)
- 2 orange zest
- 15 tablespoons sugar
- 15 tablespoons fine semolina
- 1 wineglass of brandy or banana liqueur
For the syrup:
- 5 cups water
- 5 cups sugar
- few drops of lemon
- Beat the yolks with the sugar until it whitens and the sugar is melted.
- In another bowl Beat the egg whites until they become firm meringue.
- Add the beaten yolks and mix gently.
- Add the semolina slowly and stir again gently.
- Butter a baking dish (36cm), sprinkle with a little meal and pour the mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven at medium temperature for 35′-45 ‘until golden brown without opening the oven at all so not to deflate.
- Just before we remove it from the oven pierce the cake with a knife down to the baking dish and if the knife comes out clean it is ready.
- Once it’s out of the oven and cooled, cut into diamond shapes and pour the hot syrup.
- Let the cake for 1h-2h to absorb the syrup.
- In a saucepan put the water with the sugar and after it comes to a boil leave it for 4 more minutes.
- Add the lemon drops and leave it for 1 ‘more minute.