Ingredients for the dough
- 1kgr all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Warm water (about 2 1/2 cups or as much as it gets)
Ingredients for the filling
- 600gr. feta cheese
- 500gr. butter
Ingredients for spread
Traditional recipe of Orchomenos
- In a large bowl put the flour and make a hole in the middle, add the vinegar, the oil, the salt and the water.
- Knead well until dough does not stick to the walls of the bowl.
- Cover the dough and leave to rest for 2h.
- Then separate the dough into 7 equal balls.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Take the first ball of dough and squeeze it with your palms open, throwing together a few tablespoons of butter. You should open a thin sheet.
- Pour the feta cheese which you rubbed by your hand to go everywhere, fold, seal all well and leave aside.
- Continue the same process for all the dough balls and count to leave about 1/4 of the butter that you have melted.
- Take a large baking pan and butter it.
- Pour into the baking pan each piece of dough and reopen, with the help of butter from the center of the pan.
- Continue with all the dough by placing one inside the other and spreading it in again by hand.
- Eventually it will be a uniform “pie”.
- Beat the eggs with one tablespoon water and brush the entire surface.
- Bake at 220oC until golden brown for about 45′.
- Cut into pieces and served hot or cold! Even when the butter is cold is not heavy at all!