Giouvetsi (calf with orzo)
- 1kgr soft calf in portions
- 1-2 onions chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 / 3 cup olive oil
- 3-4 tomatoes grated in scrubber
- 1 / 4 teaspoon cinnamon (powder)
- 1 / 6 teaspoon cloves (powder)
- 1 / 6 teaspoon allspice (powder)
- 1 / 2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- salt, pepper
- 500gr orzo
- 1 / 2 cups red wine
- 5 cups hot water
- grated cheese for garnish (if you want)
TIP: If you don’t have so much time, you can omit steps to the pan and finish the meal in the pot.
- In a pot, add olive oil and when it became hot, add the meat and stir from all sides until it gets gold.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir until the onions soften (not to get gold) and add the wine.
- Once the wine evaporates, add tomatoes, spices (cinnamon, cloves, allspice, paprika, salt and pepper) and 1 cup hot water and cook until the meat is tender and sauce thickens.
- Then, add 4 cups hot water and when it starts to boil, add the contents of the pot in a pan and place in preheated oven for 200οC to resistors.
- When it boils again in the oven, add the pasta, stir well and leave for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes stir again and extinguish the oven and leave the pan in the oven for 15′-20′ until it thickens.
- Serve in plate and sprinkle the grated cheese.