Lachanorizo (cabbage with rice), in 2 methods
- 1 white cabbage (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup bonnet rice
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 dry onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 250 ml. vegetable broth
- 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil, Salt, Pepper
METHOD No.1 – Lachanorizo with lemon juice
- Cut the cabbage into large square pieces and wash.
- In a wide sauce pan add the cabbage and sauté it with olive oil.
- Stir until wilted and add the onion.
- Cook until onion gets golden brown.
- Add the vegetable broth.
- Boil the cabbage until the most fluids evaporate.
- Add 1 cup hot water (you may need a little more water depending on how you want the rice) and add the rice, the olive oil, the parsley, the salt and the pepper.
- Boil over medium heat, stirring regularly and carefully, until rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the lemon juice and serve.
METHOD No.2 – Lachanorizo Avgolemono
- If you choose this method make sure not to evaporate all the fluids when you boil the cabbage.
- Beat the egg whites into meringue with a little salt (not too tight).
- Add yolks and stir.
- Add the lemon juice and gradually add some broth from the sauce pan.
- Add the avgolemono in the sauce pan, close the pot and shake gently the sauce pan, so avgolemono goes everywhere.