Galaktoboureko with kataifi
- 300gr sheet kataifi pastry
- 100gr melted butter
INGREDIENTS FOR CREAM
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups hot milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fine semolina
- vanilla flavor
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SYRUP
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- few drops of lemon
- In a bowl, add sugar, vanilla flavor, slowly add the hot milk and beat with mixer.
- Add the mixture to a saucepan in a medium heat, add the semolina and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir about 5 minutes to cool a little bit the cream.
- Cover the cream with plastic film (to touch the surface of the cream – to do no skin) and let it cool.
- Dilute the kataifi well, add melted butter and diluted again.
- Spread the half kataifi in a pan (30cm).
- Add the cold cream and cover the top with the remaining kataifi.
- Grease with a little melted butter over the surface and “mark” the pieces by cutting gently.
- Bake at 180oC for 30′-40′ until golden brown.
- Just before removing from the oven, boil the ingredients for the syrup for about 2′-3′.
- Remove the pan from the oven, cut well the pieces that you have “marked” before baking and add the syrup as long as they are both hot.
- Leave it for about 1hour to absorb the syrup and then serve.