Pergamonto (bergamot peel with syrup)
- 10 bergamot
- 1kgr sugar
- 1-1.5 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Scratch the bergamot to remove the shiny part of the peel.
- Carve them along in 3-4 pieces and remove the peel.
- Wrap each peel into a roll.
- Take a relatively thick needle and thread and pass all rolls of the thread to keep their shape.
- Place in a pot, cover with water and boil for 2′-3′.
- Remove the bergamot from the pot.
- Add clean water in the pot to boil and then place in the bergamot to other 2′-3′ (continue this step until bitter taste removes).
- Remove the bergamot from the pot and leave bergamot in a colander for about 2 hours until removes all the liquids from the boiling.
- Remove the thread from the pergamots.
- In a saucepan put the sugar and the water and boil the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add the bergamot and continue boiling until the syrup thickens.
- Shortly before the end add the lemon juice.
- Place it in jars, let it cool to room temperature and then keep it in the refrigerator for longer time.